(January 16, 2012) – Canada’s top figure skaters are set to go toe-pick to toe-pick this week in Moncton, NB when they compete for national honours at the 2012 CANADIAN FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
, Jan. 20-22, live on CTV and TSN.
Coverage begins with the Women’s and Pair Event Short Programs on Friday, Jan. 20 at 2 p.m. ET, followed by the Ice Dance Short Dance at 7 p.m. ET on TSN (see complete broadcast schedule below).
Brian Williams hosts CTV and TSN’s exclusive coverage of the 2012 CANADIAN FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
from the Moncton Coliseum Complex. Williams is joined on-site by commentator Rod Black, analyst Tracy Wilson, and rinkside reporter Sara Orlesky, who will also be backstage as the skaters leave the ice.
The marquee national championship event boasts the biggest and brightest stars in Canadian figure skating as they look to secure a spot on the Skate Canada National Team and the Canadian teams competing at the 2012 ISU World Figure Skating Championships, the ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2012, and the 2012 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships.
The field of skaters at the 2012 CANADIAN FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
• Patrick Chan (Toronto)
– reigning World Champion and ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final gold medallist; the Lou Marsh Award winner looks to defend his Canadian title for the fifth straight year
• Tessa Virtue (London, ON) and Scott Moir (Ilderton, ON)
– ice dance gold medallists at the 2011 SKATE CANADA INTERNATIONAL event; they are seeking their fourth Canadian title after missing last year’s CANADIAN FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS due to injury
• Cynthia Phaneuf (Contrecoeur, QC)
– she returns to this year’s event as the defending women’s champion
• Kirsten Moore-Towers (St. Catharines, ON) and Dylan Moscovitch (Waterloo, ON
) – the pair team looks to defend their Canadian title in Moncton
• Andrei Rogozine (Richmond Hill, ON)
– the 2011 Junior World Champion moves up to the senior ranks at this year’s CANADIAN FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
Last year a 10-year rights agreement was announced, making Bell Media’s CTV, TSN and RDS the official broadcasters of Skate Canada domestic events beginning with the 2011-12 season. As part of the agreement, CTV, TSN and RDS acquired exclusive multimedia rights to Skate Canada’s premier domestic events including SKATE CANADA INTERNATONAL and the CANADIAN FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
CTV and TSN’s 2012 CANADIAN FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
broadcast schedule is as follows*:
• Friday, Jan. 20 – Women’s and Pair Event Short Programs at 2 p.m. ET on TSN
• Friday, Jan. 20 – Ice Dance Short Dance at 7 p.m. ET on TSN
• Saturday, Jan. 21 – Men’s Short Program at 2 p.m. ET on TSN
• Saturday, Jan. 21 – Men’s Short and Women’s Free Programs at 4 p.m. ET on CTV†
• Saturday, Jan. 21 – Ice Dance and Pair Event Free Programs at 7 p.m. ET on CTV†
• Sunday, Jan. 22 – Men’s Free Program at 3:30 p.m. ET on TSN
• Saturday, Jan. 28 – Exhibition Gala at 8:30 p.m. ET on TSN